|Molly is available at Arlington Animal Services|
Herbs, Spices and Health
Herbs and spices help decrease inflammation in the body, which is -a major cause of heart disease, arthritis and even allergies.
If you want to keep your weight steady, herbs and spices help promote weightloss by increasing metabolism. They help protect us from cancer, improve our immune system and help lower our cholesterol. I am a firm believer in the natural healing our bodies are capable of and these herbs and spices help promote that natural healing. If you already have health issues such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol, or even cancer, arthritis or other serious health concerns, herbs and spices can make a big difference.
One advantage of using more herbs and spices in cooking too is that we can use less salt for flavoring. Salt contributes to high blood pressure so it's best to avoid it in the diet if possible.
Here is a list of anti-aging, health boosting herbs and spices to add to your daily diet:
- Rosemary - an anti-inflammatory, which helps improve depression, helps improve brain function
- Basil - an anti-inflammatory, good for skin, boosts immune system
- Cumin - protects the brain from dementia, strengthens the blood and immune system, promotes good digestion.
- Sage - has dementia fighting power
- Cayenne - fights obesity, anti-inflammatory and improves depression, increases metabolism
- Cinnamon- regulates blood suger, helps to lower cholesterol, good for immune system
- Coriander - helps regulate blood sugar, mood booster
- Lemon grass, nutmeg, bay leaves and saffron have a calming effect
- Turmeric protects our body from cancer, helps heal neuropathy, boosts immune system
- Oregano - fungus-beating power
- Thyme - great for immune system
- Ginger calms stomach upsets and indigestion, boosts immune system and is anti-inflammatory
- Garlic, mustard seed and chicory -great for your heart
- Garlic boosts the immune system and is anti-inflammatory
- Black pepper - improves mood
Eating an all-around healthy diet, full of fruits and veggies is one of the best disease preventing, anti-aging things you can do for yourself and if you top off these fruits and veggies with herbs and spices, then your diet is doing double duty to keep you younger-feeling, energetic and healthy, well into your old age.
The pup in the photo above is Molly. Here is what the Friends of Arlington Animal Shelter have to say about her on Facebook:
Poor little Molly was an owner surrender. When we first took out this beautiful girl she was skiddish, ran from quick movements and would not let us approach her off leash. Oddly enough, when I did not give direct eye contact, she would sit next to me from behind and "butt" up against me as if she was comforted by human contact. I took it slowly with her and soon enough, she opened u...
p, began to take treats from me and started to trust me. Picture #1 is of her was at the beginning of her "photo shoot" and picture # 3 was towards the end when she was playing with volunteer Sally Amendola and being her silly little self. This girl will need a patient and loving family who will take time to get to know her. A very workable dog. Would guess she knows sit and basic commands as she frequently sat with us and laid with us. Was too nervous in shelter environment however to assess exactly what she does know.
Molly is available at the Arlington Animal Services, Arlington, Texas.